A view to 2040
The Outlook for Energy is ExxonMobil’s long-term global view of energy demand and supply.
Its findings help guide ExxonMobil's long-term investments, and we share the Outlook to help promote better understanding of the issues shaping the world’s energy future. Updated each year, this edition covers the period to 2040.
By 2040, we expect to see:
- 2 billion more people on the planet.
- 130 percent larger global economy.
- About 35 percent greater demand for energy – which could have more than doubled without gains in efficiency.
- Non-OECD countries like China and India lead the growth in energy demand.
- About 60 percent of demand supplied by oil and natural gas.
- Natural gas surpass coal as the second-largest fuel source.
- 90 percent growth in demand for electricity.
- Energy-related CO2 emissions plateau and gradually decline.
Learn more in our Outlook for Energy: A View to 2040